Hey all! Instant mixes and dishes are plentiful in the grocery stores these days due to the busy lives of customers from all walks of life, including parents. Now these products may be time savers, but they can often times be lacking in nutrition.
I have decided to take a couple typical pantry staples and create something a little more nutritious for my family: Oat Pancakes!
My grandmother gets pantry items from her local food pantry and she will give us the items she cannot eat for health reasons. This is where I ended up with “just add water” pancake mix. I didn’t want to feed these pancakes to my son as they were, but I am not one to simply throw out food, so I decided to add old fashion oats to make them a little more wholesome.
If you want to do the same for your family, here’s what you can do:
- Follow the directions for 1 cup of mix. Mine had me add 3/4 cup of water.
- To this mixture, add 3/4 cup of old fashioned oats.
- Observe the mixture and add tablespoons of water until it is at your desired thickness. I added 2 tablespoons of water, but my ended up mildly thick. If you like thinner pancakes, add a little more water.
- If desired, add a dash of cinnamon to the pancake mixture.
- Drop the pancake mix on a greased pan or skillet and cook accordingly. These do not cook any differently than plain old pancakes!
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!