First, let me all wish you a Happy New Year! I hope 2017 is wonderful to you all!
I have another frugal and delicious soup recipe for all of you! Smoked Sausage Soup is simple and delicious. I don’t even peel the potatoes because 1) it takes a lot of time and 2) there are so many vitamins in potato skins! Also, the skin is so thin on golden potatoes that you barely notice it! This recipe makes a little over 2 quarts of soup to feed your loved ones during the cold months. My fiance and little guy love this soup.
To make Smoked Sausage Soup you will need:
2 tbsp oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 lb smoked or polish sausage, cut into rounds of similar thickness (**remember to cut these into semi-circles for any little ones, since full circle pieces can pose a cooking hazard**)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 quart chicken broth
1 quart water
1/2 can of diced tomatoes
3 cups golden potatoes, medium diced (I have also tried this with delicata squash and it was very good)
2 cans of white beans (either cannelini or great northern)
2 cups chopped kale
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat up oil in a large soup pot to medium heat. Cook chopped onions until almost translucent.
- Put in the sausage and garlic. Brown the pieces of sausage.
- After the sausage is browned, add water, chicken broth, tomatoes, potatoes ( or squash), and beans. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes ( or squash) are tender.
- Once the potatoes ( or squash) are tender, add in the kale, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Top with Parmesan cheese of desired and enjoy!